Friday 18 May 2012

Travel Time: Maui

I'm no doubt a SUN & BEACH girl. There's no denying it that when I'm in that environment everything is perfect in my world! One of my favourite places to soak this all in is...  MAUI!



When I travel to Maui I like to stay in a condo in Kihei. I love that it gives you the feeling as if you are living there. Where we stay, they provide BBQ picnic areas in the middle yard which is a great way to save money and meet new fellow travellers at dinner. Kamaole beach is across the street and local stores are walking distance.

One of my favourite beaches is Big Beach. It's further south from Kihei and like it's name... it's big! There's no feeling crowded on this beach. Like a lot of the places in Maui you have to drive there. I would recommend renting a car as there is so many neat remote locations you can only get too by car. Another great beach is off the road on the way to Lahaina. Just pull the car over and dip your feet in. It's amazing!

Lahaina is a great place to spend the day. I love scoping out all the neat shops where local artists reside and some famous ones too (my fav: Peter Lik). We always make sure to grab lunch while we are in Lahaina. The drive from Kihei is beautiful with a look out point on the way. Driving beside the ocean makes the ride go by so quickly.

The healthy food in Maui is fresh and always at your finger tips. Fresh fruit in the morning from the local market is incredible. There are fruit stands from local farmers along the road whichever driving route you take. There is a large variety of fish to choose from to eat in Maui. My favourite place to grab some fish tacos is a little joint called "Fred's Mexican Cafe". Tuesday is taco night and it's a must. Get there early!There may be a bit of wait but it's worth it. Besides, who doesn't mind waiting while you watch the sunset across the street. The restaurant turns into a great breakfast place come morning and serves delicious macadamia nut /banana pancakes for some energy for the day. My all time favourite treat that I must have while I'm in Maui is.... the shaved ice with vanilla ice cream on the bottom. I get it at least 3 times while I'm there. hey... I gotta try different flavors!

One thing I say I'm going to do each time and miss the chance is Surfing! I think next time I go I won't leave till my butt gets out on the water with a board. Surfing helps building muscles in your arms (paddling), your legs (squatting on the board) and your abs (balancing on the board). What a great way to get some exercise! I have though been snorkeling in Maui and truly enjoyed swimming with the exotic fishes.

If you are looking for a great place to go with your partner or vacation with the family, I highly recommend Maui.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs