Thursday 24 May 2012

In the know: (HIIT) - High Intensity Interveral Training

High Intensity Interveral Training - HIIT

HIIT is a great way to get in shape and burn that fat. I use this training method for my cardio when I'm looking to slim down quickly and want to see results. I come away feeling fit, strong and ready/wanting to do it again.

Start the Day Right

HIIT is perfect when you only have 20 minutes to fit some exercise in. The whole idea is to go from a comfortable pace for 30 sec to 1 minute and then to a burst of speed for 30 seconds to a minute. Repeating this cycle for 20 minutes can burn the equivalent calories as doing 45 minutes of running on the treadmill.

One of my favourite ways to apply HIIT on the treadmill is:

1min : 4.5-6.0mph (walk/jog)
1min : increase incline (9-15 incline)
1min : 4.5 - 6.0mph (walk/jog)
1min : increase speed (6.8-7.5mph)

Repeat until you hit the 20-25 minute mark


You can apply this method to any cardio activity. When I'm outdoors with the dog, I walk (fast paced) for one minute and then sprint for 30 seconds to 1 minute and repeat. Doing HIIT on the elliptical and stationary bike are great too.

An added bonus: HIIT can improve your endurance performance. I notice a difference in my endurance in just a week. I also notice a difference in my metabolism, it's revved up and my energy level is higher.

Great tip: get up 30 minutes before your usual wake up time and get in a quick 20min HIIT cardio session. You will be set for the day.. body and diet.

Check out this infograph that guides you through the benefits of HIIT

Try it out next time your doing your cardio!

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs